Sunday, December 22, 2013

I'm Offended!

In light of another public figure being attacked and banned for his/her beliefs, I felt compelled to write something; albeit, with a little bit a fear and trepidation of retaliation. Our country has gone so far over the edge of politically correct that when we practice our freedom of speech or religion the consequences are very weighty. Not only does the word communism pop immediately into my mind, but more so the very real reality of targeted bullying.

Let me say this and receive it as truth and complete honesty: I in no way condone violence, bullying, or hate crimes against any person for any reason.

We in America thrive on offense. We hunger for it really. Everything in our country reflects this sad truth; television programs, news, news papers, magazines, movies. Maybe this is because we subconsciously as Americans have born in us the passionate desire to rebel, defend, protect, declare and proclaim freedom, fight, march, rally, and shout for what we believe/know is fair and just. One cannot fight for a cause without a passion filled offense. Go ahead! Try to get into a debate with someone about something that has never caused some form of offense in your life --it's impossible. 




In the last few decades, I've seen 'rights groups' rise up and do some really amazing things; however, some have let the power they've experienced, through the change they have accomplished, go straight to their heads. And now their mode of operation is bullying every entity and/or person in this country if it's opinions, values, or beliefs differ. Isn't that exactly what these groups rally against?

They have a "I'm going to ruin you, your life, and your career, if you voice anything against our cause!" attitude. Wow! Now that is hate, and the promotion of hate at it's finest.

This is where I'm sure to get myself lots of hate mail: I'm in no way shape or form talking about or referring to organizations or non-profits that protect the rights of people of color or nationality. As a women married to a man of color and having children of color, I fully and sadly understand discrimination. My man nor my children can change the color of their warm terracotta browned skin, they cannot change their rich and beautiful heritage, nor can they alter their most loved and cherished members of their family tree. Nor would this ever be a choice! I hope you are reading between the lines of what I am not saying.

How sad is it that I cannot be totally forthright with my words? I have been feared into keeping my mouth shut, my convictions watered down, and my beliefs hushed. I'm immediately labeled as judgmental and hate filled, when I confess my faith. And I've said nothing more then, "I'm a Christian." or "I don't agree.". My heart is judged along with every member of my family and my circle of friends.

Here's my truth: I'm called to judge a persons actions not their heart. I get to decide who I want in my life and who I do not --as a human and as a person of faith. I get to say, "I'm not okay with your behavior or lifestyle, but I love you! I just don't like you and/or what you're doing!" That is the judgment I pass! I have no clue who is going to heaven or hell; my God says that I don't have to worry myself with such things! And quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed with joy that I'm exempt from that. Why? Because my God's grace and mercy and forgiveness are far-far beyond what I can comprehend or practice. God has called me to love not to like!

Time to get real: I am a faith filled follower of Christ that is covered in tattoos, married to a man not of my color or nationality, raising biracial children, and (gasp) lover of my homosexual friends and family members. I love them with such a deepness that it brings tears to my eyes; however, they know where I stand. I do not in anyway condone their relationships nor act wishy-washy with them about my beliefs. In fact, it is not a topic discussed unless they ask or I have to decline a function that celebrates their homosexuality. And that is only if they ask me directly why I'm not attending. To which I always reply, "Are you sure you want to know?" I give them their right to decline hearing my beliefs!

This same right is not afforded to me. I'm bombarded with it everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go. I cannot even watch my favorite programs on TV nor listen to my favorite radio stations without being constantly hit over the head with someone's sexuality. I mean come on! Even tabloid reading in the grocery check out has lost its luster. And let's call it what it really is; manipulative desensitization.

Let me end with this, bullying will never bring about successful accomplishments. Ruining someone's life and livelihood because of a difference of belief(s) will only fuel the 'us' vs. 'them' mentality and fight.  Love turns to hate, mercy turns to malevolence, peace turns to war. It's not worth it! Bullying only promotes hate. Think about that!

Finally, I love being an American because I get to say, "I love you but I do not like you!"


No comments:

Post a Comment