Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Bread

Since going Gluten Free last summer, I've had to relearn to bake and cook. And as a side note, I feel amazing! Doing so has restored my energy, got me off my 'sick bed', and has allowed me to shed my "regular" status at my doctor's office. If you have tummy issues, I strongly suggest eliminating Gluten from your diet.

Back to the tummy yummy bread! After searching the net and making a few terrible loafs of bread, I've found one that is super simple and totally delish -every time! This loaf is moist, not eggy tasting at all, and totally satisfying. 

Click here for the original recipe: Comfy Belly

I used the above recipe as base for my bread
but did change a few things;
 like adding chocolate and a whole lotta spice!! 






Smash 3 Bananas
Crack 3 Eggs

Add 1 TBS of Vanilla
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
A Dash of Allspice

Add 1/4 cup of Sugar

This is the sugar I used. 

NOTE: The original recipe calls for 2 TBS of honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar
I've tried both the honey and the coconut sugar (and used only 2TBS), 
and both loaves were absolutely delicious. I simply wanted to try the 
above sugar to add 'richness' to the bread, and that it did! 



Blend really well -your goal is to 'fluff' up the eggs
Doing so will make your bread  more full.

In a separate bowl add 
3/4 tsp of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt

Add 1/4 cup of Coconut Flour + 2TBS
Mix together well.

NOTE: I use a separate bowl to ensure the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined
 before I add them to the wet ingredients. This helps to distribute the ingredients
so that you don't end up with a mouthful of baking soda or salt. 

This is the flour I used


Add dry ingredients to the wet and blend well

Chop 2 blocks of Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate


Add to mixture and blend well

NOTE: I let the dough rest for 20-30 mins (I'll wash the dishes).
I do this because alternative flour, I feel, needs to 'soak'.
I find that if you don't let gluten free type flours rest,
your dish will be gritty or sandy like in texture. 

I liberally greased my loaf pan with Coconut Oil, 
which adds a yummy level of flavor.

Pour dough into pan 
(I know it looks a little weird but trust me, it will be fabulous!)

Cook at 350 degrees for 50-60 mins

Top should brown and toothpick inserted should come out clean. 


The finished product! I keep mine in the frig as it is 
WAY yummier when it it cold. 

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment