Monday, July 21, 2014

The Awful Part

A random conversation with my girlfriends struck me as peculiar, a conversation so innocent but it kept stomping through my thoughts all week long. Every have that happen?  A topic that is so simplistic, so non offensive but barbaric is its newness? I'm almost embarrassed to type this out but I've never in all my life had this thought ever!

The conversation: switching parts! (bring your mind out of crazy!! lol!) Switching the side in which you part your hair! The thought was so foreign that I went slack jawed in shock at the thought!  I know, stupid, I know!! However, I consider myself partially fashion forward (I say partially because I am a mommy on a single income! Lol!) and was taken aback that I would have never consider this: not just to change it up, but for the health of my hair!

So after a week of chewing on this (I don't know why I struggled with doing it, honestly), I parted my hair to the 'wrong' side! Lol! Everything about it was wrong! It wouldn't lay right. I couldn't even comb that half of my hair with all those bangs correctly. Blow drying that way, forget-about-it, I hit myself repeatedly in the head with the dryer; not to mention, in between dryer blows, I'd hit myself with the brush like an out of control toddler with a new toy! I literally kicked my own butt! Lol!  Once my hair was done, I kept adjusting it the wrong way, got hair stuck in my eye more times than I can count, and I was completely exhausted with irritation by the end of the day! All over the wrong side part job I did! 


Photo from: deviantart.com

As a side not you must know: after all the fuss, my hair looked good! Heeeeyyy!!! It was shiny, full of body (that I thought I lost in my mid 30s), and my trouble spots were non existent. I was hot for a hot second! lol!

With all this uproar in my hair life, God spoke very clearly to me: The path to freedom is filled with obstacles and roadblocks but if you are diligent, keep fighting the good fight, endure, preserve, stay the course, you will be truly free!


Then He sent me to this verse:


Romans 6:12-14
That means you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don’t give it the time of day. Don’t even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full-time—remember, you’ve been raised from the dead!—into God’s way of doing things. Sin can’t tell you how to live. After all, you’re not living under that old tyranny any longer. You’re living in the freedom of God.


Isn't breaking a bad habit just like what I described above!?! Breaking a stinking thinking mentality or trying to take false and lying thoughts captive, just as exhausting!?! After the bloody fist fight, gobs of dirt kicked up in our eyes, and feeling completely defeated......we find the strength to continue the good fight. The fight that will end with our freedom from addictions, immoral living, a broken past, destructive relationships, stinking thinking, ect....

Everything is hard at first but underneath the fear and irritation is an excitement that tells us we look good, we are free, we are new, we are worth it, we are wonderful! Changing the way we think-feel-act, in theory, looks so easy (just part your hair on the other side of your head for God's sake!), but it will take diligence and a whole lot of UMPH! to actually walk out. And our Old Part will constantly scream to us, "Come Back!! It's comfortable here! I know you; you know me!" Walking into newness will feel foreign, strange, and occasionally brutal; however, the pureness of freedom that you will gain will be the most beautiful thing you will every experience! Keep fighting the good fight; the fullness of who God has called you to be is within your grasp; take hold of it!-Don't let The Gunk lure you into it's sticky trap; don't let it trap you in it's lies one second longer!

Totally wrong but oh! so right!

No comments:

Post a Comment